Sunday 12 May 2013

The Long and Short of It

This is one result of a short investigation into shrinkage and wrinkleage.  A new book 'Magic Materials to Weave' by Lotte Dalgaard covers cruel and unusual punishments to make perfectly beautiful fabric into wrinkled and distorted caricatures of itself. Some methods use yarns with differential shrinkage and others, as here, include 'kinky' yarns that behave differently when washed.  I think I am over it now.  I really love perfectly smooth merino fabric.

Today I would have had a wrap off the loom if it wasn't for phone calls, visitors and a visit to the opera . . . Rigoletta from the New York Met, set in Las Vegas in 1960. A perfect setting for the story but I would really like to see it set 400 years earlier. Some fabulous singing from people I've never heard of. The music will still be going round in my head when I'm weaving tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment