Saturday 25 May 2013

Blue Wrap

My latest creation is this wrap in bamboo with panels of dark blue Bronson lace in slub cotton.
The main warp is bamboo and it took quite a while to decide what to add to it to make it interesting.  On its own it was not quite wide enough for a wrap and also I felt it looked quite flat and bland even though it is multi-hued.  At Festival I found some nice dark blue slubby cotton on the DEA stall. I intend it for another use but stole a bit off the cone to make the lace stripes and even used it for the weft. I'm very satisfied with the look of the result.  It is quite light and drapes well.  I'm not too sure about the bamboo though.  It seems to crease quite readily and I suspect it might pill.  Time will tell.

2 comments:

  1. Really love the vibrant colours of this Mum. I'm not too surprised that the bamboo would crease, I am guessing it would be much like linen. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to be going through a blue phase at the moment - watch this space. The bamboo is not like linen at all in that it is not made directly from the fibre in the plant stems or leaves; it is made like rayon - in fact it is rayon made out of chomped up bamboo instead of wood pulp. It gets chewed up, pulverised, dissolved in goodnes knows what and then extruded as very fine fibres which are then spun. It feels lovely and silky.

    ReplyDelete