Friday 27 March 2020

Threading the Heddles

The cross, decently and in order

This is where I sit. There is just enough room.

I use my fingers to thread the heddle eyes. With a bit of practice it is much quicker and less cumbersome than using a hook.

I can't take a photo with both hands in the shot but I'm sure you get the picture

As always, keeping a bit of tension on keeps everything in order.

All done.
If any new weavers are following this you may be surprised that I thread the heddles first and then sley the reed separately as you may have been taught to use a long hook and do it in one operation. My loom is longer from front to back than most, with more space both in front of and behind the heddles. I work on my own and I just can't reach to thread the heddle and reed in one operation. I also find it less confusing to do one task at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment