Tuesday 24 March 2020

Home Detention

Oh dear, I should remember to call it self isolation . . . though for me it is no hardship. It is more like retreating to the back of my cave and shutting the world out . . . suits me fine. Thank you so much to the several under-70s who have offered to fetch and carry for me if required. So far I'm fine and quite content.

This enforced staying home is working for me as I have just launched into a major weaving project and I am looking forward to being able to concentrate on it.  I am making a LARGE "Dream Blanket" for my favourite (and only) grand-daughter. Usually I don't post about my projects until they are finished but this time I thought I would post a blow-by-blow commentary as I go. That way, Natasha, who lives in Perth, can check up on progress if she wants to. It might make a long boring series of posts of no interest to anyone but a weaver, but I will start it and see how it goes.

For once I started by making some samples . . . something I encourage others to do but seldom take my own advice, but I really wasn't sure where to start. Natasha had picked the silvery grey colours and I had accumulated what I hoped were plenty of gorgeous yarns.
Decisions made, calculations and paper-work done, here is the beginning of the first warp. The blanket will be in three panels and this warp is for the two outside ones. The third panel will be in the middle, a bit wider and in a different pattern. More of that later.  The warp is a beautiful soft alpaca, very fine so I am using it double. Over the first two days I made four warps of 148 ends each, so 592 ends in total, each 7 yards long. You can do the maths if you want to; I am just happy to report that I did not find one knot or break in the whole process. Thank you Adobe!

I will leave this now and post regular reports as things happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment