Sunday 9 November 2014

The Year of the Pincushion

OK, I'm ready. The Creative Fibre Guild President's Challenge for this year is a pincushion. I thought about this off and on all year and knew exactly what I wanted to do. . . I haven't done it! However I have come up with not one but three pincushions that just sort of happened. Well, the first one took a bit of thinking about but then hung around for weeks waiting for me to do a bit of painting. (I am not a painter - I'm a weaver.)  Here it is. The actual pincushion is handwoven fabric I made for a cape for my granddaughter some years ago when she was at Uni. The rest is tatting on a used moisturiser pot.

For no reason, except that I wasn't too happy with the quality of my painting, I bought a pincushion, complete with pins, from the Warehouse for $4. In a jiffy I removed the embellishment, found a tatted medallion which fitted nicely on it and stitched it on while watching TV. I was quite happy with it but it felt a bit like cheating.

No sooner finished that than I saw what I thought was a brilliant idea on Pintrest. I found a silver photo frame, still in its packet, which has been 'on hold' for several years, and picked up a piece of weaving I had cut off the end of a scarf (for reasons best not talked about) and lo and behold - pincushion number three. Here it is.

Our weaving group is to have a pincushion exchange at our last meeting for the year so whoever draws my number will have to choose one out of the three. I can't believe I have done it with days to spare.


No comments:

Post a Comment