Tuesday 17 September 2013

I have always wanted to . . .

One of the projects in the back of my mind for years has finally come to fruition.  I wanted to weave a really fine piece suitable for a handkerchief and put a border of tatted lace on it.  Finally I have done it and it is one of the pieces I will be sending to the Creative Fibre Area Exhibition in Westport in October.

I'm not entirely satisfied with it as the lace doesn't sit as flat as I would like it to . . . but I have plenty more opportunities to try!  The white warp and weft are both size 50 mercerised Egyptian sewing cotton at 40 epi.  Unfortunately the reed marks have not washed out (4 ends per dent in a 10 dent reed) so it looks a bit streaky but quite acceptable I think.  The red is woven with a finer red unmercerised cotton which gives a distinct shimmer.  I must experiment more with this.

1 comment:

  1. Love the hanky Mum - so like you not to be completely satisfied, you are your own worst critic of course.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete