Sunday 9 April 2017

Weaving Update

Finally, a bit more weaving to show. First an alpaca/silk wrap in a combination of thick and thin yarns woven in plain weave but a complex threading and treadling to give a "random-looking" texture. Not the first and I'm sure it won't be the last time I find a complex way of doing something simple!

For a change of scene I put on an experimental linen warp, also in thick and thin yarns but with less difference in the size. To be effective I think the thick should be about four times the size of the thin.  This time there was also a difference in colour. The first few inches told me it was not going to be suitable for table mats or runners so I wove half a yard or so of each of the colours of 16/1 linen I had. The thick yarn is 16/2 in silver-grey and the thin in the warp is pale pink.



 The result is a pleasing collection of linen fabrics I think will be excellent for book covers and greeting cards. Already I have sent the first "guinea pig" postcard away and await a report of how it stood up to the mail service.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment