Wednesday 19 November 2014

Red Alpaca/silk scarves

Further to my last post but one, I have now finished the red alpaca silk scarves using the same weight and blend of yarn as the white ones but using a smaller area of lace and a three end huck instead of five end.  I like this much better; it seems to be more in proportion and has the plain weave to set off the lace.

The handle is quite different from the white, so much so that I went back to the cone of white to check that it was the same 70/30 mix of alpaca and silk. The two yarns seem to have the same amount of twist but the coloured ones have more sheen and the white (or cream really) is slightly more fluffy. I love them both. Some of these yarns are spun in New Zealand and some in Peru so it would be interesting to know if that is where the difference occurs.

I have another colour on the loom now so hope to have a couple of mulberry wraps soon.






No comments:

Post a Comment