Sunday 20 January 2013

I love January!  Happiness is a month with no meetings and a loom with a long warp on.  The only thing better is having two looms with long warps on.  I've been working between these cotton table napkins with gold rayon accents and half-bleached linen table runners and mats. (More about the linen at a later date.)  Both looms are working well and I have been almost on auto-pilot, with just the odd oopps moment.
That was caused by auto-pilot bobbin-filling and forgetting to stop!  I was really keen to make these napkins as I had made them before and they were very successful - but when it came to the crunch I couldn't find the cotton that I knew I had stashed away.  It probably wasn't wise but I used some finer cotton from goodness-knows-where and used it double for the warp and then got some mercerised cotton from our group's stash for the weft.  Two days before I finished the weaving of course I found the original cotton. I have an idea I will regret not waiting to find it before I started. (Note to anyone wanting to hide something from me - put it up high!)  Now the job is done and while it is good to think I have 16 napkins to finish I now have to face 32 hems!  However, a couple of weeks on grandmother duty will give me an opportunity to deal with at least some of them.  Here is the length coming off the loom today.
 What I have called a long warp is 8 yards which is long for me these days.  I pulled out a "warp in waiting" this week  (I think it's been waiting about 30 years) thought it would be perfect for some fabric I have in mind to weave. I discovered it is planned to be 40 inches wide at 24 epi and 12 1/2 yards long.  I'm not sure whether to use it and drop off heaps of it or start again from the beginning. I am going to run away now for a couple of weeks and not think about it till I come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment